Suicide, Domestic Violence, Sexual Abuse and Substance Abuse

UC Dept. of Mental Health SPOA

988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: 988

For more information about the new 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline, please click here.

Crisis Text Line: Text Hello to 741741

Crisis Text Line fields messages about suicidal thoughts, abuse, sexual assault, depression, anxiety, bullying and more. What makes it unique is that it’s entirely text-based, which makes it easy for anyone who doesn’t feel comfortable or safe talking on the phone to use it.

You can text 741741 in the US or UK (686868 in Canada), reach out via WhatsApp or message Crisis Text Line on Facebook for help. You’ll be matched with a volunteer counselor, who is supervised by a licensed, trained mental health professional.

Crisis hotlines for kids and teens

These two services are aimed at different audiences. YouthLine is available for kids and young adults who want to talk to someone about what’s happening in their lives, while ChildHelp tackles issues of child abuse.

YouthLine: Text teen2teen to 839863, or call 1-877-968-8491

YouthLine provides a safe space for children and adults ages 11 to 21, to talk through any issues they may be facing, including eating disorders, relationship or family concerns, bullying, sexual identity, depression, self-harm, anxiety and thoughts of suicide.

Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline: call or text 1-800-422-4453

For issues related to child abuse, Childhelp connects you with a professional counselors to help in a crisis, and provide information on how to get help. They offer phone support in 170 languages, or you can chat online with a counselor.

Domestic and sexual violence hotlines

For anyone who is a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault (or know someone who is), these hotlines offer counseling and advice.

National Domestic Violence Hotline: Text “START” to 88788 or call 1-800-799-7233

Anyone who is experiencing domestic violence and/or abuse, plus anyone concerned about a friend, family member or loved one can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

They offer support in more than 200 languages, and offer a confidential, secure online chat.

National Deaf Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-855-812-1001

The National Deaf Domestic Violence Hotline is a spinoff from the NDVH specifically for Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals.

You can get help over email, or talk via video call to a trained counselor.

RAINN: 1-800-656-4673

The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network’s hotline is for anyone who’s experienced sexual abuse or assault.

When you call its main hotline, you’ll be connected with someone at a local organization in your area who can provide live support and direct you to additional resources. RAINN also offers live chat on its website.

Hotlines for the LGBTQIA+ community

Whether you’re struggling with your gender identity or sexuality, or are experiencing a crisis and want to talk to someone who is part of the LGBTQIA+ community, you can lean on these hotlines.

The Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386 or text START to 678678

LGBTQIA+ kids and teens can reach out to The Trevor Project for support during a crisis, if they are feeling suicidal or need a safe space to talk about any issue. You can also chat via their website or by texting START to 678678.

Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860

The Trans Lifeline provides support specifically for transgender and questioning callers, run trans people. They provide support during a crisis and can also offer guidance to anyone who is questioning their gender and needs support.

The hotline is available between 7 a.m. and 1 a.m. PST (9 a.m. to 3 a.m. CST or 10 a.m. to 4 a.m. EST). But operators are often available during off-hours, so no matter when you need to call, you should.

A few other LGBTQIA helplines that offer support, but not necessarily crisis intervention:

Drug or alcohol abuse

If you are experiencing any kind of emergency situation related to drug or alcohol use, you should call 911 or your local emergency line.

SAMHSA National Helpline: 1-800-662-4357

If you are struggling with addiction or are concerned about a loved one’s alcohol or drug abuse, you can contact the hotline for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. This US government agency offers support and information about treatment and recovery.

Ulster County Dept. of Mental Health (UC DMH) SPOA (Single Point of Access) information 

For Residential Services, Adult Services, and Child & Family Services

Ulster County SPOA information

Residential SPOA is not emergency housing and is for individuals with Serious Mental Illness (SMI). For more information on other housing opportunities available, please visit: